Sunday, February 28, 2010

WEEK 7: AC Circuit Analysis using Mesh Analysis Techniques


Mesh (loop) analysis is generally best in the case of several current sources. In loop analysis, the unknowns are the loop currents. Mesh analysis means that we choose loops that have no loops inside them.

Loop Analysis Procedure:

  1. Label each of the loop/mesh currents.
  2. Apply KVL to loops/meshes to form equations with current variables.
    1. For N independent loops, we may write N total equations using KVL around each loop. Loop currents are those currents flowing in a loop; they are used to define branch currents.
    2. Current sources provide constraint equations.
  3. Solve the equations to determine the user defined loop currents.
Mesh Analysis Example:
Mesh Analysis Example Circuit
  1. Label mesh currents.
  2. Apply KVL.
    1. Left loop KVL:
    2. VS = R1I1 + R2(I1-I2)
    3. Constraint equation I2 = -IS.
  3. Solve for I1 and I2. Note: Branch current from mesh currents: IM = I1 - I2

No comments:

Post a Comment